To provide quality, comprehensive, and affordable childcare and preschool education in a nurturing, creative environment for St. Louis-area families of all economic backgrounds.
Cornerstone Center provides:
- Year-round quality care, Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Tuition determined on a sliding scale
- A caring and committed administrative and teaching staff, many of whom have been with Cornerstone Center for over 20 and 30 years. Staff also includes a full-time onsite classroom counselor to assist with the children’s social and emotional needs.
- Breakfast, lunch, and snack for all children … every day
- Diapers, wipes, infant formula, and baby food at no extra cost to families
- Medical, dental, vision, hearing, and developmental screenings at no extra cost to families
- Speech, physical, and/or occupational therapy, if deemed necessary, at no extra cost to families
- Head Start services for qualified families
- TWO large, gated, outdoor playgrounds AND an indoor multi-purpose/gross motor room
- Donations of food, clothing, toys, books, and much more for children and their families
- An unparalleled reputation for non-profit, child care, and educational excellence with endorsements, accreditations, and awards from many including the United Way of Greater St. Louis, the Better Business Bureau, Variety the Children’s Charity of St. Louis, and Y.W.C.A. Head Start
Cornerstone Center Children and Families
For January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018
- 204 children served (170 families); ages 6 weeks to 5 years (kindergarten entry)
- 41% from working families with annual income under $20,000; 62% under $30,000
- 45% pay no tuition per state income guidelines; 12% pay $1 – $25 week
- 52% African American; 32% Caucasian; 10% Multi-racial; 5% Hispanic; 1% Other
- 49% in single-parent households
- 84% from St. Louis city; 14% St. Louis County; 1% St. Charles County; 1% Illinois
- 17% receive developmental therapies on-site and at no additional cost to the families
- 8% in foster care placement
Cornerstone Funding (2018)
- Government Contracts (State Assistance, Head Start, USDA): 42%
- Tuition/Enrollment Related: 31%
- United Way: 13%
- Fundraising/Special Events/Other: 14%
Cornerstone collaborates with a variety of other entities, including Healthy Kids Express (St. Louis Children’s Hospital), Head Start, St. Louis Centers for Hearing and Speech, Positive Support for Kids, St. Louis University (Micah House Project, School of Nursing), St. Louis Teachers’ Recycle Center, Ready Readers, and St. Louis Area Diaper Bank.